_________
I realized the other meaning of marketing today. Market-ing (like Krogering) is shopping at the markets! Today I was finally initiated into the life of a Shanghai Tai tai. From the source of all online knowledge (Wikipedia): "Tai tai is a Chinese colloquial term for a wealthy married woman who does not work." Let me tell you, I was working it today!
I went to the fake market with my neighbor, who needed to have some new pants made. It was incredibly enlightening to watch her "negotiate" (haggle isn't even the right word) her price with the vendor. They insisted things like because she was tall or bigger than the average chinese person they would have to buy extra fabric, so it should cost more. Or, my favorite, "This is high quality! You can't buy in US!" HILARIOUS! So after a little observation, I found my grove. A couple hours later I was the proud owner of a new "Cath Kidston" purse (no clue about the brand as I am brand-name-naive), a cute grey leather clutch, a cute "Kate Spade" bag, a pair of "Diesel" slip on tennis shoes, and, the piece-de-resistance: a Nick Lidstrom Winter Classic throwback jersey (for M). And all for about $85! And the best part - I had SO MUCH FUN!!

It is important to note that anything in quotes is that way due to the uncertain nature of the actual brand ;). It is, after all, a fake market. An interesting tidbit about the fake market: there are copies & there are fakes. One is ok and one is not. I'm not really sure what the difference is, but some of the merchandise is hidden in walk-in rooms behind fake doors where you pay separately. Everything I bought was legit - at least in the Chinese sense of the word. We'll see how long it all lasts!
No comments:
Post a Comment