
I know quiche doesn't really have anything to do with China, but one of its main ingredients does: cheese! Several people made it a point to tell me before we moved here that it's hard to find cheese in China. I can see that this would probably be true in areas where there aren't a lot of expats. For example, when I order an omelette at a restaurant, there is no cheese in it. But since we live in an area with tons of expats, the opposite has proven to be true.
I am SO HAPPY about this because I LOVE cheese.
I mentioned to my neighbor that I was happy about the cheese selection and she looked at me like I was crazy. The selection isn't really that amazing. I haven't found any muenster (to make my super-amazing grilled cheese), and I can only get shredded cheese at select grocery stores. Plus, ALL of it is expensive. Setting that aside, there are a lot of Europeans here and that means Brie, Havarti, Creme Freche (ok, not cheese, but still wonderful)! And because all of it is expensive, I'm no longer agonizing over the price of the havarti - I'm just buying it!
Ok, I know it sounds convoluted, but in my new crazy world, it actually makes a lot of sense. And it means my family can have one of our favorite meals even half way across the world. And that is priceless!
No comments:
Post a Comment